New Developments

Important announcements like forum rules and information on Chatspot releases are posted here (usually before their 'offical' arrival on the home page/sourceforge pages).

Moderator: Demerzel

New Developments

Postby Demerzel on Sun May 04, 2008 7:38 pm

As anybody who actually pays attention to Chatspot will know, development pretty much halted two years ago. But now, I'm back in a position where I can work on Chatspot. As a result then, I am now the project's lead developer - again. As far as I know Kaniaz - or Steve - has no desire to come back and work on Chatspot.

The development status of Chatspot has actually changed since we last updated people here. In 2007 work was started on Chatspot TPL, which is another ground-up rewrite of Chatspot. It is, currently, a functional chat program with no real special features. If you want to check it out, you can witness it on Sourceforge's SVN server here.

What is different about Chatspot TPL, then, is that it isn't just a phpBB MOD. Chatspot TPL, when finished, will be able to work as a standalone program to provide websites with a chatroom. It will be able to integrate with more than one forum system (currently it works with both phpBB2 and phpBB3, plans for IPB support exist.) It is also a whole lot faster - Chatspot 2 was, admittedly, really poorly coded; Chatspot TPL is a whole lot nicer.

This time, though, I'll have to try not to disappear. :P
Demerzel
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to Announcements